Friday, March 12, 2010

Today I made PW's Flat Apple Pie. Why there exists a version of everything an apple pie is, just in a different shape, I don't know.

But I will be making regular 'ol apple pie from now on. Her crust recipe is fabulous and easy to work with. My crust always came out too dry to properly roll out but I can rarely bring myself to buy pre-made crust. I think it's against one of the Ten Commandments or something.

And the apple mixture was delicious too, just really runny. Which brings me to the reason why PW is an insane woman who gets her kicks out of inventing "easy" versions of beloved dishes that sound great on paper, but have a tendency to explode when tried at home.

In her version, the dough is rolled out into two circles with the apple guts placed in a pile in the center and the dough edges rustically draped around the outside. So you have two sloppy "pies". I don't mind the two pies or the messy rustic feel half as much as I mind the lovely way all the juice ran out onto the pan during the baking process, fusing the pie and the foil to the sheet in a gooey, globby mess not to mention running off the pan onto the bottom of the oven despite my sad tin foil efforts to prevent such a fiasco.

Then I had to figure out how to store the apple piles. I suppose in her house they get eaten up right there. Or even "on the go" as she puts it. That's a laugh. I tried to picture Tim grabbing a slice in his hand as he heads out the door and all I saw was him holding the mess in his shirt the way Vern and the boys held their "breakfast" in Stand By Me.

This tasted great, and I'll use the same recipe for a pie, but it's definitely a case of If it Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It.

I'll stick to pie shape in it's nice easy portable pie pan from now on.

2 comments:

  1. I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM, THOUGH IT WAS REALLY GOOD. LIKE YOU I WILL STICK WITH THE PIE PLATE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonder if you simmered the apples first to take some moisture out and then made them more like turnovers?Yes,I know,one more step!

    ReplyDelete