Monday, February 15, 2010


Did you know that bowling was first invented by the Maya people?

It's true. During rituals designed to appease the gods, only the important religious leaders were allowed to collect the skulls left from their animal sacrifices and throw them great distances to
smash the remains of their enemies. The disintegration of the bones meant a long and prosperous life granted by the gods.
Not really.
I don't know where bowling originated from, but I'm glad we have it.
I don't think I went bowling until I was 12 or so. It was a friend's birthday party and I was so nervous. Like so many other activities, I had no idea what I was doing when everyone else seemed to be an expert.
And at first, it's a stressful sport for someone who doesn't remember to let go of the ball and ends up thrusting it magnificently backwards to her fearful teammates who quickly learn to hide when Mary's up because you never know, you may lose your foot or even your head.
The pressure of everyone you know AND strangers next to you all watching (because I was sure each and every one of them was looking at me) while I made a fool of myself helped create my patented walk of shame as I turn around after releasing the ball with a look of "So what? I suck, but I don't care." while walking back to my seat with my insides on fire.

I've recovered from my pre-teen social dilemmas, but tonight when we decided to go bowling as a family for the first time, I was skeptical of Daniel's behavior.
I fully expected him to shut down and sit on the cold plastic molded chair with his arms wrapped tightly around his chest and a permanent frown glued to his mug.
And he almost did just that. He started to say things very firmly under his breath like "I'm NOT putting those shoes on." and "HUMPH" and "What's for dinner?"
But we ignored that and he soon discovered that it was much more fun to sidle up to the lane and swing the ball back and forth a few times before throwing it practically into the next lane while our neighbors shouted "DUCK!"
Eventually he stopped running and swinging and settled down.
And he beat me. (that's not saying much though. I think none of us scored more than 100)
And I'm hopeful stuff like this will help build his confidence so he isn't so self conscious in school.
Because that's one facet of my life where I don't want history to repeat itself.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like everyone had fun!And let Dan know that his dad almost rolled a strike when he was 2...pushed the ball while sitting down and,if I remember correctly,had two pins left.Of course,that was out of many tries,but hey,he was only 2!!

    ReplyDelete