Monday, January 18, 2010

Sorry to have been so neglectful of my blog lately. By the end of last week, my creative energy had completely petered out and I did nothing about it. Because I'm lazy. And pregnant. (I warned about the milking of that one didn't I?)
So, let me 'splain my reasons for not completing my PW menu items last week... no it's too long. Let me sum up. No mac & cheese Thurs. b/c plenty of leftovers from Wed. (and no Tim to feed) And no meatloaf Fri. b/c I was out all morning and Katie and I indulged on Mc Donald's. (big pregnancy mistake--paid for that one later)

Last night I made the Meatloaf and Creamy Mashed Potatoes. (halved) It calls for bread (not just breadcrumbs) and I noticed this flavor seemed to dominate the meal. But that could just be my wacky pregnant taste buds talking. Everything tastes funny lately.
I also discovered that parsley, which used to be fine with me, is now on my can't-even-look-at-it-or-I-will-spew list. It smelled like rancid dirt to me. So I guess from here on out, anything I have to say about how these dishes taste can be considered just the ramblings of a neurotic pregnant hormonal pregnant lady. Kay?

And I was warned to pre-bake the bacon (which I did) but it still came out underdone.
I wasn't wowed by this, I think I like the recipe I have been using for meatloaf. But the recipes are so similar, I just don't know whether to trust PW or my useless taste buds right now.
(but the mashed potatoes were fantastic)

Back on track today. Marmalade Muffins. PW says to use a mini muffin pan to make 24 of these. I halved the recipe and made 32 so unless she's a mutant Okie giant, something's wonky here. But they tasted great.

Breakfast Bowls for lunch. Lots of prep work, but worth it. Though my brain unexpectedly went on strike and I accidentally turned off the oven when trying to manage the time these were done to coincide with when Tim was coming home from the store. So we ate lunch an hour late. And so it starts...
(p.s.--I substituted cilantro for the basil and I'm so glad I did. Totally made up for the dirty parsley in the meatloaf)

Menu for the rest of the week:

Tuesday: Roasted Beef Tenderloin and Creamy Rosemary Potatoes.
Wed. Mac & Cheese
Thurs: Chicken Pot Pie
Fri. Sherried Tomato Soup


Sound good?

4 comments:

  1. Especially the roasted beef tenderloin. I made one for New Years' and it was absolutely delicious! But I didn't use PW's recipe; I think I got one off the internet, but it sure was good. BTW,you can make all these recipes in July at the cottage--deal?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chicken pot pie is out of this world, too, especially if you use PW's piecrust. Last time I put a crust on the bottom as well as the top (by request).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I won't have to halve all the recipes at the cottage!
    Can't wait to try the chicken pot pie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So ambitious!!Better do it now...think it's the 2nd trimester when the fatigue hits!(so what's my excuse..just lazy,I guess!

    ReplyDelete