Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Then and Now

Just look at this. Pitiful. I got away with it because I was ten and it was my first horse show but can you see those socks? Red and navy stripes. Which wouldn't matter if I was wearing proper boots that would cover those gaudy things but I'm pretty sure I've got loafers on. (I bet those socks had toes too. Who cared anyway? Because my instructor is wearing striped tube socks over his riding pants...oh the 80's) Why did I keep my sweatshirt around my waist? Man, I must have really not wanted to win. But I certainly wasn't trying to blend in either. Well, it's not like it was a fashion show or anything.

This was the beginning of my love affair with riding. It was my "thing". I ride English now (desperate attempt to hang onto my youth) but I'd love to ride Western too, just to have the chance to gallop once in a while. Everyone should gallop on a horse across an open plain in their lifetime. (cue "Oklahoma" music) It's such a great high. Not like that "jogger's high" I've heard about. I have ZERO interest in that one.

For the first time in years, I competed in a horse show this past weekend. While hot and dehydrated, I still had a great time and was not too humiliated being surrounded by so many little girls. (I rode in the adult division. Small, but thankfully there for people like me.)
Afterwards, my kids were inspired to have their own horse show. They set up pillows for jumps and awarded ribbons and everything.

Excited that they were showing an interest in my interest, I dug out my old ribbons for them to play with. Alas, Shannon liked matching them to her outfit more than play-riding. Really that's fine though because I'd probably be scared to death if I watched my kids do any serious riding. No wonder mom didn't watch me too often.

Notice these are the highest-placing ribbons. I have no idea where I stashed all my 5th, 6th, and 7th place ones. (much to Shannon's chagrin. She would have liked to "match" the pink ones with her outfit.)

What ever happened to those scrawny things? I really miss 'em.

This was last Saturday. I'm so very thankful it's so dark because in my head my legs were still those toothpicks and when I saw this, I was smacked with a reality I was none too pleased with.

Maybe I should start jogging...


No comments:

Post a Comment